Happy Belated 4th of July!
I love backyard summer shenanigans.
On that note, I happen to stray about as far as one can get from the typical American summer fare. Although I grew up with your traditional “dog” in a bun and American “cheese food” covered burgers, it has been years since I have partaken in that type of dining.
While there may never be day my family is invited over to a veggie burger soiree, I will die fighting to prove to my family, that healthy, eco- and vegan savvy meals do exist… and that they can be tasty and “normal” (well, maybe not “Texas normal”… but we are getting there).
Thank goodness for innovative and passionate foodies that have made my life infinitely simpler. Luckily my boys and husband love
Don’t hold out for the holidays, these summer barbecue options are perfect for every backyard bash.
The Veggie Burger
- Baked, or Grilled Seasoned Portabella Mushroom (wrap in tin foil and put in an enclosed grill for a few minutes until juicy).
- Simply sprinkle on spices like cumin, and ancho chili pepper for that smoky and savory flavor before cooking.
- Organicville Ketchup (and/or BBQ sauce)
- Grilled red and yellow onions
- First, I poke holes in each potato with a fork or knife, and then wrap it in tin foil.
- With the oven preheated to 450, each wrapped potato is baked for approximately an hour.
- Leave potatoes in their tin foil blankets, and store overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to bake the “fry” into the potato, place the oven on broil.
- Unwrap each potato and slice into medallions. Because potatoes have been chilled, they should be easy to slice.
- Place your “fries” onto a sprayed baking/cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle generously with pink himalayan sea salt and your favorite spices. (I used smoked paprika, cumin and cayenne)
- Bake/broil your fries until they are crispy on the top (approximately 10-12+ minutes).
- For even “frying”, flip “fries” over after 6 minutes.
- 5 ears of organic corn, shucked
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/8 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 large lime
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Sprinkle: Coriander, Cumin, Chili Pepper, Pink Sea Salt
- Slice up some zucchini, eggplant, onion, fennel, mushrooms, and peppers, and allow them to be salad toppings.
- So Delicious Coconut Ice Cream
What are you enjoying outside?